The dress that was staring at me, daring me to finish it is officially done! May be my new favorite. So thankful for my neighbor Jacqueline who will be modeling the dress for our ‘nesting’ photo shoot and Couve Couture Fashion Show. She has helped me with so many of the dresses, standing patiently on a stool, holding a measuring tape at the waist while I trimmed the bottom of many dresses. Many of these vintage dresses were to small for a dress form and needed a small human.
This dress has about 20 hours into it. The transformation has been unbelievable and so worth the time. Very happy that my mother gave me the knowledge to make the outcome possible. You will notice from the before pictures the difference in length and the removal of an oddly placed shoulder pad. I took the tattered and torn length and made florets that were place over areas of the dress that were permanently stained. I sewed leaves, placed a vine with green ribbon and then strategically placed the florets. This was a stitching project that needed a couple glasses of wine! The entire bodice had to be restitched and the zipper had to be taken our and re-sewn. Once the dress was complete I needed an underskirt.
My friend was kind enough to share some of her extra square dance under-skirts. Lots of tulle! To create length I removed the second layer of the skirt and added it to the first layer. It became the perfect length and fullness for this dress. Thank you Chelsea!
2 more dresses to go…. both at the dry cleaners and should have them completed this weekend. Oh, happy dance!
I love this dress..especially the bias cut on the top! You go girl!