Getting Ready -Dress 9 and 10


As of this morning, I have 2 weeks to get everything ready, 3 dresses and accessories (gloves and hair pieces), 2 human sized bird nests and a woodsy parasol, for our photo shoot. As much as I thought I completed the most difficult dresses first, one is staring and laughing at me… daring me to complete it. The difficulty with this particular dress is that it is so small, I have to pin it to the front of a dress form. Hoping to have it done tomorrow for all of you to see and for me to check it off my ‘to-do’ list.

Here is dress #9 and #10: I am calling #9 my Buttercream dress since it looks like a wedding cake with buttercream frosting, ribbons and flowers. This is the first dress I challenged myself with for our upcoming Couve Couture Fashion Show and thankfully, just finished it. Talk about a labor of love! I have about 20 hours into this dress. The base dress came to me with the upper left portion shredded. I zig-zagged it back together. To be creative in my cover-up I decided to take another dress that was beyond salvaging and use it’s material to accessorize. I took the hem of the underskirt and ran it through my sewing machine to create a ‘ribbon’ look and then cut strips from the chiffon skirt to created roses. After many, many hours of hand sewing I was able to strategically place the ‘ribbon’ and the ‘roses’ on the dress. After a trip to my local dry cleaner I hand sewed pearls and sheer lace to the upper portion of the bodice and created new shoulder straps. With this dress, the first challenge was making it wearable and beautiful, second challenge… finding a model who had a 27 in waist but a D to a DD bust. Check and check! Ashley looks beautiful in it!

Dress #10 – Pretty in Pink. I was so happy to discover this dress. It was originally created by Emma Domb, a designer from San Francisco popular in the 50’s and 60’s. She created some of the most beautiful evening gowns, which includes, the Miss Oregon dress that I talked about a few weeks ago (hoping to finish this dress soon). This dress had a lot of stains on the lower portion. I took it up 6 inches and left the pink tule exposed. You would think that by doing this it would be even all around. Not so much. Had to cut again measuring from the waist, taking off another 2 inches (you will notice in the picture above that the hem is not even. This picture was taken before the second cut). Adding a full, square dance, crenoline under skirt to it created a magical, princess look. Brittney will be the perfect model for this knowing she doesn’t need to see her feet to walk the runway….thankfully.

If the next two days go as I hope, you will get to see the final 3 dresses. Fingers crossed!

Advertisements
Categories: Getting readyTags: , , , , , , , ,

4 comments

  1. Alisa, my daughter and I think every single bit of this is wonderful. What you are doing and how you are doing it. Awesome!

  2. Hi! Just found your blog! These two dresses looks amazing! Great job!

  3. Thanks for sharing all of your before and after pictures, very interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing everything come together on the runway. Good luck with all of your finishing work!

  4. Gosh darn you are so talented!

    Sharon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: